Sunday, October 18, 2009

My Inner Martha

Check me out!!

You never knew I had it in me, did you?

Am I cool or what?! I actually made this ridiculous looking thing! I'm not sure if I like it, but I'm making more to see if I get better over time.



Scarves are necessary winter wear in northern Portugal, not just accessories. I only had one last winter, and that just doesn't get it. Thus began my search on how to make a cheap, cool scarf.



This one was certainly cheap.....but I'm not sure about the cool part. Here is a video if you're interested in learning how to weave a scarf from left over scraps of fabric, an old piece of wood and screws.

The lady on the video said she liked to 'freestyle' when she made her scarves. In other words...anything goes! Fringegirl has made one too. I like hers better, but I'm tired of comparing myself to her. We've already battled it out in the kitchen with the help of Zeus and Feona.

Here is the beginning of my second one. I've made two looms, a smaller kids sized one and an adult sized one.



I'll begin taking orders next week.




Yeah, right.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, we spaced our nails differently and I actually think yours came out better. The weave is totally different. You have spaces between yours and mine is tighter...it reminds me of a rag rug. Now I'm going to have work on tweaking my nails. I like your scarf!

-FringeGirl

Unknown said...

Ever do a latch hook rug/picture? Just wondering...but I think I already know the answer :)))))
(I was really embarrassed to know you caught me at the end of my video of my grandkids playing their instruments, yikes!)
Love,
Judy

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing this! I think your scarf turned out great and I love the beginnings of your other one! What great gifts!

Hmmmm... I cant wait to try this out.

Blessings & Aloha!

Cathy said...

That's cool. I saw Fringe's scarf too. She sent me the video link, so who knows I may have to try to make one too.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I did two more. One came out terribly! It's like a wearable pot-holder. The other I like. I'm going to let my daughter wear it for a few days and see if I still like it after that. It'll be a test run!
-FringeGirl

Nina in Portugal said...

Fringegirl...you're showing out now!

"...a wearable pot holder...."...you're too much!

Jen Price said...

Cool! Isn't it great making something with your hands?!

Unknown said...

How fun you and Fringe girl are! that´s too cool! Really could make a go at this! I love purple and cream together! that next one is great! I will go check out that tutorial.

Starla said...

That is more then I could to do. I hate to see what a scarf would look like if I made it.

Mom said...

You said you were sending MOM one for Christmas?
Make mine in browns and tans. :)